Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Second visit: Halloween Observation

This week I observed Ms. Butikofer's class during the most exciting Holiday of the year, Halloween!  I arrived just in time to join in the costume parade which snaked through the Gym, hallways, library, and looped back into the classroom.  The costumes were AMAZING and the parent turnout was even more AMAZING.  The parking lot was packed and the Gymnasium was teeming with parents and family to show their support and excitement.   100% of Ms. Butikofer's class were in costume, which  makes my heart happy:)  All the teacher's got into the spirit of Halloween by dressing up too.   Ms. Buikofer was a nurse, and I went as Little Red Riding Hood.  The kids costumes blew me away.  Some of the costumes I saw were, Nerds, Witches, Park Rangers, Princesses, (including princess Leah) Zombies, and so many more I can't even keep them straight.

The creativity behind the costumes demonstrates how, at home, Midas Elementary parents encourage creativity in their kids.  As an art teacher this get me excited about our future creating together in the next several months.  Knowing that the kids's homes are fertile soil for growing creativity gives me hope for art in the classroom.

It's been good for me to see what the school looks like during the Holidays.  The excitement from the kids is contagious and I've been able to see from Ms. Butikofers' example that even thought the holidays are exciting, the kids can still focus on school work in between celebrations.  The day is a little disheveled because of interruptions like parades and parties, but being able to deal with the change in schedule is important.

Next week we will start our Ocean habitat watercolor project.  I'm excited and will post my lesson plan as soon as it's finished!



No comments:

Post a Comment