Friday, October 14, 2016

Hello Kindergarten Parents!

Hello parents of the Windsor Elementary kindergarten class!

My name is Kelli Brown and I am going to be working alongside Mrs. Green for the next couple of months teaching art to you children.  I am a second year Arts Scholar from the Beverly Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program and senior at BYU majoring in Art Education.  I live in Provo, but am originally from Ohio where it rains constantly and the fall colors are magnificent.

You might wonder what I am going to be doing in the classroom? Mrs. Green and I are working together to integrate visual arts into the kindergarten core curriculum which will enhance your children's learning experience.  Our focus this fall is going to be on drawing which will help the kids develop gross and fine motor skills as well as an ability to stay on task for long periods of time.
Our first lesson, which was yesterday, was called Drawing Using Shapes.  In our lesson we reviewed basic two dimensional shapes, read a book call Wednesday (picture below)
and watched a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dazuuAjeLvE) on how you can use shapes to make different images.  Finally we did a guided drawing of  a person made out of shapes.  Everyone was able to finish before heading off to recess.  We will be reviewing this lesson after fall break and taking it a step farther by adding details and placing their people drawings in settings.

I am excited to be teaching your kids this semester because kindergartners are so sweet and creative!   I've already observed the classroom twice and taught once and think the kids are just great.    I look forward to our time together and hope you will reach out to me if you have an questions.

Kelli Brown
Arts Bridge Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment